Dog License

dog picture

The City of River Falls requires that all dogs five months of age or older be licensed. The license year is January 1 through December 31. In order to process a dog license, a current rabies vaccination record must be provided. This information can be obtained from your veterinarian.



  • Spayed/Neutered Dog: $5
  • Unspayed/Unneutered Dog: $10
  • After March 31: $5 late fee per renewal - the late fee does not apply to dogs being licensed for the first time in the City of River Falls.
  • After July 1: Dog licenses are half-price for dogs being licensed for the first time in the City of River Falls.

Please make checks payable to the City of River Falls.

Applying for a Dog License

City residents may apply for a dog license by mail, in person, or by using the utility drop box. Whichever method you choose, you must complete a dog license application, provide a rabies vaccination record and payment.

In Person

Please see our friendly customer service staff located in the City Hall lobby for assistance. Please bring your completed application, rabies vaccination record,  and payment.

By Mail

Please mail your application and payment to:

City of River Falls
Re: Dog License
222 Lewis Street
River Falls, WI 54022

Drop Off

Residents can drop their completed application and payment in the utility drop box located in the City Hall parking lot.

Municipal Code

Chapter 6.04 - Dogs and Other Domestic Animals

Dog Owner Responsibilities

City Municipal Code Chapter 6.04 prohibits dogs and cats from running at large within the City limits. A dog, cat or other domestic animal shall be considered to be running at large if it is off the premises of its owner and not under the control of the owner or some other person.

All dogs shall be kept on a leash no longer than 8' at all times when off the premises of their owner and no dogs are permitted in a public cemetery except when confined within a vehicle.

The owner of an animal shall promptly remove and dispose of in a sanitary manner any excreta deposited by such animal upon any public or private property. Violations of these municipal ordinances are subject to citations and/or fines.

Lost or Missing Dogs

The City contracts animal control services with Humane Society of Goodhue County in Red Wing, Minnesota. They can be reached at 651-388-5286. To report a dog running at large, please obtain as much information as possible about the animal and contact the River Falls Police Department at 715-425-0909.