City Compost Site
*Please follow this link to read a press release regarding changes for the compost site effective June 2022.*
The City provides a compost facility where city residents can bring their yard waste. The compost site is located at 901 West Locust Street (near the River Falls School Bus Garage).
Please assist by self-monitoring the site and reporting any violations if there is not an attendant on duty.
- In order to use the site, residents will need to provide a recent RFMU utilities billing statement and photo ID.
- Allowable material is limited to yard waste and brush (no stumps).
- Use good housekeeping and do not bring unwanted or banned materials to the site.
- Remember to remove material from plastic and other non-compostable bags. A dumpster is provided for disposal of such non-compostable bags for your convenience.
- Use of this site is for City residents only.
- Compost and woodchips are available at the site for City residents on a first come, self-serve basis.
The compost site is open April through November. Days and hours of operations are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 - 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. - noon. Except for specific occasions (e.g. Christmas tree collection), the site will remain closed from December through March. The compost site is closed on holidays.
For more information or questions regarding the City's brush/compost site, contact Mike Stifter, Public Works Director, at 715-426-3406 or by email.
Extended Compost Site Hours Announced for Fall 2022
Extended compost site hours for fall cleanup activities will begin on Monday, September 26, and run through Saturday, November 5. Hours will be Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Additional County Resources
Below please find additional resources available for residents through Pierce and/or St. Croix County.