Property Assessment/Open Book and Board of Review
2021 Property Revaluation
The City of River Falls will be performing a market revaluation in 2021. The last time River Falls performed a revaluation of all property was six years ago in 2015. Since then, the market has changed and assessed values no longer reflect the current market.
The State of Wisconsin is a market value state. This means property values are required to mirror the fair market value of comparable properties to ensure property owners are paying their fair share of taxes.
The fair market value of all property is calculated by reviewing arm’s length sales between a willing seller and a willing buyer on the open market. Assessors consider information from many sources to determine your assessment.
Assessors will be reviewing market sales from January 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020. Sales after the new year will not be used to determine a new value. The property tax bill residents will receive in December 2021 will be based on the new assessment value of their property.
Assessors don’t set tax rates. There are no additional taxes collected by the city during a revaluation. The revaluation does not change the amount of tax collected by the city, county, school district or technical college.
To learn more about what assessors do, please watch the video: Assessor Video 2020
Timeline of Revaluation:
- January - March: Assessor reviews previous year’s sales and market data
- March - April: Trespass letter will be sent to properties assessors need to visit
- April - May: Permits and sales are verified
- June - July: Comparable market data used to revalue all property
- July - August: Notice of new value will be mailed to property owners
2021 Open Book and Board of Review
The Board of Review is a quasi-judicial board which meets on an annual basis during the 45 day period beginning the fourth Monday in April. The activities of the Board are governed by Wis. Stats 70.47. The Board of Review will meet briefly on May 25, 2021, at 6:15 p.m. to postpone as the assessment roll will not be complete until the end of August.
Open Book Schedule:
- Via Telephone - Monday, August 30, 12 - 7 p.m.
- Via Telephone - Tuesday, August 31, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- In Person - Monday, August 30, 2 - 6 p.m.
Open book is a conference, either face-to-face or over the phone, with an assessor to discuss the value of your property. You have until 48 hours before Board of Review to contact the assessor about your new value. When available, you can set an appointment with an assessor here: https://accurate.rovingcalendar.com/appointments
Board of Review Schedule:
- Tuesday, May 25, 6:15 p.m., meet to adjourn
- Wednesday, October 6, 4-6 p.m.
Board of Review functions like court and is required to evaluate evidence based on facts. You or your representative must provide factual evidence that your property is inequitably assessed. The burden of proof is solely on the taxpayer. The assessor’s value is presumed correct by state law until proven otherwise.
Please attend the Open Board prior to making an appointment for Board of Review. You can set an appointment for the Board of Review by contacting the City Clerk's office. All original signed paper Objection Forms Packet must be submitted to the City Clerk no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, October 4.
Search for your property record information here: http://accurateassessor.com/recordsearch/?id=72
- Class 1 Notice that the Board of Review has Met and has Adjourned to a Later Date
- 2021 Board of Review Meeting Notice - Oct 6, 2021
Forms and Appeal Information
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue Board of Review Page
- Guide for Property Owners
- Property Assessment Appeal Guide for Wisconsin Real Property Owners
- Objection Forms Packet
Real Estate Questions
Information on Properties in Pierce & St. Croix County
General assessment information for properties in Pierce and St. Croix County, such as ownership and a property’s assessed value, can be found on each county’s website.